I’ve got a bunch of updates to give you all regarding previous posts…
Yesterday I found out that Christina has been given a surgery date!! She will have the Vegas nerve Stimulator implanted on June 3rd at 8:00am!! I’m not sure what caused Sick Children’s Hospital to change their decision regarding the funding cap, but Monique has informed me that it has now been removed, so hopefully more children like Christina will be getting this lifesaving surgery soon! I’ll continue to post updates on Christina when possible.
Next, Huib will be starting a new position at the Kirkland & District Hospital. He will be working part-time in the emergency department and part-time in the intensive care unit, while occasionally filling in on the ward. He is quite excited about this new position because he’ll gain more experience and be forced to work outside his comfort level.
And, if this isn’t enough news, we’re also moving! Around the end of June, we’ll be packing up the gang and relocating to a three bedroom house just outside Englehart. Huib will be closer to the long-term care home he works at, but about ten minutes further away from the hospital. The house has three bedrooms, two are the same size as our current rooms, and the third is smaller, but will make an awesome room for a child we might foster or adopt. The living room and kitchen are pretty much one room so it will be a little harder to keep Cessna from counter surfing while we’re away or keeping Dawsen away from the food in general, but I think the openness will give the dogs even more room to wrestle and play. The only real downfall of this new house is that there is no basement to store our extra clothes and other stuff we won’t be using, so we’ll either need to make sure the shed is well sealed or take stuff to my sister’s house for storage. We really like living in our current home, but the landlord keeps hinting that she’d like to sell at some point in the near future, so Huib decided to start looking for a new place before she could ask us to leave. The woman who owns this new place seems quite nice, so I’m hoping it will work out a little better for us all.
Finally, I may have already announced this, but Huib and I got a call a few weeks ago from Temiskaming Child and Family Services regarding our application to foster. I called the woman back and she has passed our file on to the adoption workers because we have decided to “foster with a view” instead of just foster, because after a year of waiting we think adoption is going to be our ultimate goal. We’re now waiting for the adoption worker to contact us so we can start the necessary home study.